Year built: 1963
Summer pool: 5,795 surface acres
Winter pool: 2,890 surface acres
Named for: Early American explorer Benjamin Lynn.
Lynn became separated from his friends and could not be found for several days.
Each night, they returned from the search reporting “No Lynn.” The river at which they camped became known as the Nolin.
It was impounded from the Nolin River by the United States Army Corps of Engineers in 1963.
The Nolin River dam was authorized in 1938 as part of a flood control act.
The lake varies from 2,890 acres in the winter to 5,795 acres in the summer.
Nearby attractions include Mammoth Cave National Park, Nolin Lake State Park, Moutardier Resort and
Marina, Ponderosa Boat Dock/Marina and Wax Marina.