This is our gorgeous, detailed, laser engraved and precision cut Map of Lake Temagami in Nipissing District, Ontario, Canada with the following interesting stats carved into it:
There are approximately 1,259 Islands, the largest of which is Temagami Island.
The lands surrounding the lake have a large amount of Precambrian rock which were formed after the earth’s crust cooled.
Name comes from Te-mee-ay-gaming, which means "deep water by the shore" in the Ojibwa language.
Max. Depth: 229 Miles
31 Miles North to South
7.249 Miles East to West
Lake Temagami, formerly spelt as Lake Temagami, is a lake in Nipissing District in northeastern Ontario, Canada, situated approximately 80 km north of North Bay.
In 1834, the Hudson's Bay Company opened a fur trading post on the lake, which operated during the 19th century.
The Forest Reserves Act of 1898 established the Temagami Forest Reserve on the shores and adjacent lands of the lake in 1901.
It was created to reserve the forests for future logging by restricting settlement.
In 1904 it was increased to 5,800 sq mi.
As a result of this reserve, the building of cottages and resorts was only permitted on the lake's islands.
This restriction is still in force today.
Lake Temagami is popular for cottage vacationing: the number of cottages on Lake Temagami are estimated between 630 and 746.
In addition there are 9 youth camps, and 12 commercial lodges.
A copper mine opened on Temagami Island in 1954 called Copperfield's Mine.
It produced 34,000,000 dollars Canadian and was considered to mine the purest copper ore in Canada.
The mine closed in 1972.