Greenwood Lake was at the beginning known as Long Pond and was obtained from the Minsis subtribe of the Lenni-Lenape Indians in 1707.
Agricultural upbringing was essentially the occupation during the eighteenth and early nineteenth century, however, forging and iron mining were also progressively significant with the exploitation of iron ore deposits within the surrounding expanse.
Throughout the Revolutionary War, the Greenwood Lake vale was thought through an salient industrial center with the Towns of Warwick and Pompton Plains serving as the major population centers!
A dam was constructed at the earliest in 1765 to support the grist mills, forges, and sawmills within the district, but in 1836 a more substantial dam was built near the Wanaque River on the southeastern side of the lake! 🍃🏞🛶🌅