This is a beautifully detailed, laser engraved and precision cut topographical Map of Lake James in Burke County, North Carolina with the following interesting stats carved into it:
- The Lake was named after James B Duke, one of the founders of Duke Power.
- Year Built: 1916 -1923
- Surface Acres: 6,510
- Shoreline: 150 Miles
- Max. Depth: 120 feet
- Ave. Depth: 65 feet.
- In 1945 the town was named Marion, after Francis Marion, the American Revolutionary War hero.
- Nebo is named after a Methodist campground that existed before the Civil War. The Western North Carolina Railroad named its depot Nebo afte4r the campground. The community was incorporated in 1909.
Interesting factoid: Lake James is a large reservoir in the mountains of Western North Carolina which straddles the border between Burke and McDowell Counties. It is named for tobacco tycoon and benefactor of Duke University, James Buchanan Duke. The lake lies behind a series of 4 earthen dams. It was created by Duke Power between 1916-1923, as a hydro-electric project. It still generates power today and is the uppermost lake on the Catawba River system.
(Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the lakes we design)