The Youghiogheny River, often called the Yough, is a 132-mile tributary of the Monongahela River.
Youghiogheny is a Lenape word meaning “a stream flowing in a contrary direction” and is the only river in western Maryland that does not flow south into the Potomac River.
It runs north throughout its entire course.
The Youghiogheny River saw thriving industry even before the arrival of railroads.
Many brickyards, shipyards, tin plate, candy, glass works, and iron furnaces sprang up along the river's banks.
The first railroad changed the river's appearance forever around 1855, which connected Pittsburgh to Cumberland, Maryland and points east.
More railroads would straddle the river to keep up with demand, as the Youghiogheny River valley became an important national industrial center in the late 1800s.