Max. Length: 13 Miles
Max Width: 1 Mile
Shore Length: 52 Miles
Avg. Depth: 30 Feet
Max. Depth: 60 Feet
Wallenpaupack Lake was created in 1926 by PPL, the Pennsylvania Power & Light Company, for hydroelectric purposes as well as flood control; however, it is best known as one of several major recreational destinations in the Pocono Mountains.
The Lenape Indians named the area "Wallenpaupack" which means "The Stream of Swift and Slow Water."
William Penn later owned the land and then deeded it to his son, who then gave it to James Wilson, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
In order to create the lake, PPL constructed a dam on Wallenpaupack Creek at Wilsonville and a levee (Tafton Dike).
The project took 2700 men almost two years to complete and seven months for the reservoir to fill after the dam was closed off.
The land of Wilsonville and the surrounding area in the valley was purchased by PPL from about 100 owners at about $20 an acre and most of the property was razed or moved.
Some houses remained, and as the valley was flooded the water was so clear that one could see the houses under the water.
In all, 17 miles of roads and utility poles were rerouted, and Purdytown cemetery had to be relocated.
The former town of Wilsonville now lies under the water near the dam.
PPL managed the 3,300 acres of land around the lake until June 2015.
While homeowners have access rights, they must apply for permits for things such as landscaping to installing exterior lights and cannot cut down vegetation to improve their view of lake — a provision to keep the man-made lake natural.