The oldest lake in the Cherokee National Forest was created by Tennessee Rural Electric Company in 1910-11.
Sometimes known as Lake Ocoee, this lake is controlled by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
Scenic views of the 1,930-acre lake are highlights along the Ocoee Scenic Byway.
Ocoee River has its beginnings in the mountains of Northeast Georgia and Chattahoochee National Forest.
Its first impoundment is Blue Ridge Lake near Morganton, Georgia.
Construction on the Blue Ridge Dam was begun in 1925 and completed 5 years later.
It is 167 feet high and is 1,000 feet across. It isn’t really the Ocoee River here. Its official name is the Toccoa River.
Below this earthen dam lie the townships of McCaysville, Georgia and Copperhill, Tennessee.
The Ocoee then flows into the Cherokee National Forest where it is impounded by Tennessee Valley Authority’s number three dam.
Ocoee Dam #3 began in 1941 and completed in 1942.
It is a small lake of 360 surface acres.
The Dam is 110 feet high and 612 feet across. The water is diverted through an underground pipeline for several miles.
It emerges at Ocoee #3 Hydro-electric Power Plant on Hwy #64 in Polk County.
src="https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1465/9188/files/FB_IMG_1648609144837_480x480.jpg?v=1648609199" alt="" />