The name Daufuskie, comes from the Muscogee language, meaning “Sharp Feather”.
The Yemassee Indians arrived on Daufuskie Island in 1664, replacing the Cusabo Indians.
Bloody Point got its name as a result of English settlers ambushing the Yemassee Indians in 1715 on the beach.
The Melrose Mansion was completed on the Stoddard-Mongin plantation in 1848.
The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade brought many enslaved Africans to Daufuskie Island to produce “Sea Island Cotton” during the 18th century.
The Gullah/Geechee culture was prevalent on the island well after the civil war and into the 1980’s.
The Gullah’s speak a distinct language properly referred to as “Sea Island Creole”.