Considered Alabama’s Best Kept Secret! One of the cleanest Lakes in America.
Named in honor of Lewis Martin Smith President of Alabama Power From 1952-1957.
Located in Cullman, Walker and Winston Counties.
Surface Area: 21,200 acres
Over 500 Miles of Shoreline
Length: 35 Miles
Maximum Depth at dam at 264 feet
Lewis Smith Lake is a reservoir in north Alabama.
Located on the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River, the lake covers over 21,000 acres in Cullman, Walker, and Winston counties.
The three-fingered lake has over 500 miles of shoreline, and at full pool has a level of 510 feet.
The lake was created by Alabama Power with the
construction of the Lewis Smith Dam.
One of the largest earthen dams in the eastern United States, it stretches 2,200 feet in length and reaches a maximum height of 300 feet.
Construction began on November 25, 1957, and the dam entered service on September 5, 1961.
The name honors Lewis Martin Smith, president of Alabama Power from 1952 to 1957.
Nearby towns include Bremen, Crane Hill and Dodge City in Cullman County; Curry and Jasper in Walker County; and Addison, Arley, Houston, and Double Springs in Winston County.