Key West, Florida - laser cut wood map
This is a beautifully detailed, laser engraved and precision cut map of Key West in Monroe County, Florida with the following interesting stats carved into it:
- Located in Monroe County
- Land mass is 5.9 sq. miles
- Southernmost city in the continental United States
- Key West is 129 miles SW of Miami, FL
- And 106 miles N/NE of Havana, Cuba
- Motto: One Human Family!
- Cayo Hueso
- Is the original Spanish name for the island, It literally means “Bone Key”. It is said that the island was littered with bones of native inhabitants, who used the isle as a communal graveyard.
- March 25, 1822 Lt. Commander Matthew C. Perry claimed the keys as United States propert.
- The island is considered the “Gibraltar of the West” because of its strategic location on the 90 mile wide deep shipping lane The Straits of Florida between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Black Lake, is of Glacial Origin
- Formed approx. 12,000 years ago
- Length: 21 miles long
- Width: 4 miles at its widest point
- Acres: 11,000 +
- Average Depth: 10 feet
The island is about 4 miles long and 1 mile wide, with a total land mass of 4.2 square miles. Duval Street, its famous main street, is a mere 1.1 miles in length in its 14-block crossing from the Gulf of Mexico to the Florida Straits/Atlantic Ocean. In the late 1950s, many of the large salt ponds on the eastern side were filled in, nearly doubling the original land mass of the island. The island is 3,370 acres in area. (Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the lakes we design.
This map can be personalized (at no additional charge) with up to two lines of engraving. Leave notes during checkout and we will email a graphic proof to you for approval prior to production. Example:
You may also like: