This is a beautifully detailed, laser engraved and precision cut topographical Map of Grand Lake St. Marys in Mercer and Auglaize Counties, Ohio with the following interesting stats carved into it:
- 13,500 Surface Acres
- Max. Length: 8.2 Miles
- Max Width: 2.8 Miles
- Avg. Depth: 5-7 Feet
Interesting factoid: Originally constructed as a feeder reservoir for the Miami-Erie Canal, Grand Lake St. Marys was for many years recognized as the largest man-made reservoir in the world. The 13,500-acre lake is the gateway to swimming, boating, camping and fishing in one of Ohio's oldest state parks. The area in and around Grand Lake St. Marys State Park played an important part in the development of the Northwest territory. The St. Marys River served as a vital link between the Great Lakes and the Ohio River. Because of this heavy water traffic, the renegades Simon and James Girty established a trading post, which eventually evolved into the town of St. Marys. General “Mad” Anthony Wayne passed through the area in 1794 during this march to drive out the Shawnee, which culminated in the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Some of Wayne's men returned here to make their homes.
In 1837, work commenced on a reservoir for the Miami-Erie canal to maintain the canal’s five-foot water depth. Workers using hand tools were paid 35 cents a day and a jigger of whiskey to keep malaria away. Completed in 1845 The lake was connected to the canal by a three-mile feeder. (Not all of this information made it onto the map, we just love to read up on the lakes we design).
You may also like: